Post-Corona Virus Band Commissioning Project
Playing music with a group is an important social and creative part of life for our band students. The isolation created by the Covid-19 outbreak broke these social links in the blink of an eye, and we are not yet back to making music as we always have. COVID is an in-the-moment snapshot of the impact of the pandemic on wind bands in 2020. It is about the the uncertainty, fear, disruption, pain and grief that all of us have gone through during the Covid-19 pandemic.
This piece was commissioned by an international consortium of the following generous sponsors:
• Benjamin Barker, Director of Bands at Enumclaw HS, Enumclaw, WA
• Adam Campagna, W.F. West HS Band Director, Chehalis, WA
• Dave Eater, Levittown, PA
• James Robinson, Virginia Beach, VA
• Cynthia Grabke, GR Austin Intermediate School, Braintree MA
• Janessa Hasper,Cheyenne, WY
• Lynda Hasper, Lititz, PA
• Rich Kuntzelman, Director of Bands at White River High School, Buckly, WA
• Greg Peterson, Artistic Director at Tunesmith Solutions, Melbourne, AU
• Lauren Schneider, Ligonier, PA
• Mary Jean Tasillo, Pittsburgh, PA
• Michael Walker, Conductor, Keansburg NJ
When I began gathering ideas for this piece, in March 2020, I thought (as many did) that as unprecedented and traumatic as the pandemic was that is would soon be over. SURELY, I thought, by fall this would be a Significant Moment that was behind us.
As we begin the 2020-2021 school year, we are not over the pandemic. If anything, we are still squarely in the middle of it. Though the motions and routines of life go on, things are clearly not back to "business as usual."
No piece of music is a solution. But music MEANS something, and gives meaning to our lives; I hope that this music will help frame these experiences of 2020 in a way that shows how tenacious we can be, and offer hope for a brighter future.
Visit the CONCERT MUSIC page for sheet music to this piece.
2019 Band Commissioning Consortium!
Project 1: Middle School/Jr. High Participants
Armstrong Jr-Sr. High School (directed by Rob Reams)
Mifflin County Middle School (directed by Samantha Gates)
Titusville Middle School (directed by Patrick Vetter)
The title of the new work is "Fairy Tale Mystery"
This title is a combination of suggestions submitted by students
from each of the participating schools
Project 2: High School Participants
Armstrong Jr-Sr High School (directed by Jason Venesky)
The title of the new work is "Endless Routes"
This title was chosen from several suggestions
submitted by students at Armstrong Jr-Sr High School